From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:56:02
1 On Monday, 12. September 2011 12:42:00 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > You say it was disinformation about /var. Care to explain why me and
4 > > one
5 > > other person read the same thing? It was mentioned on -dev. I was
6 > > pretty sure it was and then another person posted they read the same.
7 > > So, I'm almost certain it was said at this point. Surely we can't
8 > > both be wrong.
9 > Where did you guys read it? Who said /var could not be in its own
10 > partition anymore? What piece of code stops working if /var it's in
11 > its own partition? Who is proposing that a separated /var will not be
12 > supported in the future?
13
14 Just have a look in /var/lib/* for example.
15 You guarantee, that nothing of this stuff is or will be needed by udev?
16
17 > The thread I post talks about /var/run and /var/lock needing to be
18 > symbolic links to /run and /lock, but AFAIK (and I tend to follow this
19 > sort of things) /var not only can be in its own partition, it is the
20 > recommended setup.
21
22 Yes. Until this dev has his next brilliant idea.
23
24 > Saying that proposing /run and /lock to be available at boot time
25 > Damn, this list is like crack.
26
27 For sure :)
28