From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:43:50
1 On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Alan Mackenzie<acm@×××.de>  wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Hi, everybody.
7 >>>
8 >>> Hope nobody minds me starting a new thread with an accurate name.
9 >>>
10 >>> Which version of udev is it that has this nauseating feature of needing
11 >>> /usr loaded to boot?
12 >>>
13 >>> Somewhere in that version's source will be several (or lots of) "/usr".
14 >>> Just how difficult is it going to be to replace "/usr/bin" with "/bin"
15 >>> throughout the source?
16 >>>
17 >>> udev is part of the kernel.  How come the kernel hackers aren't up in
18 >>> arms about this as much as we are?  Or are they, maybe?  In which case,
19 >>> maybe the kernel people would welcome an option to disrequire the early
20 >>> mounting of /usr as much as we would.
21 >>>
22 >>> Anyhow, I'd like to take a peek at the source code which does this evil
23 >>> thing.  Would somebody please tell me which version of udev is involved.
24 >>>
25 >>> Thanks.
26 >>
27 >> (This would be my only post in this new thread: I think I have made my
28 >> point of view clear in the other thread).
29 >>
30 >> I have seen a lot of disinformation going on in the other threads
31 >> (like some people suggesting that /var would not be able to be on its
32 >> own partition at some point in the future). Just before everyone start
33 >> to wildy conjecture, please take a look at this:
34 >>
35 >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
36 >>
37 >> Also, a look at this thread is maybe justified:
38 >>
39 >> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.systemd.devel/1728/
40 >>
41 >> Both things are in the context of systemd, but it's related to the
42 >> discussion at hand. I know not everybody wants to use systemd, and
43 >> think Lennart and Kay are the root of all that is wrong and evil on
44 >> the world, but I will recommend everyone interested in the reasons of
45 >> the push for a recommended initramfs to take a look at the page in
46 >> fd.org, and the thread in the systemd mailing list. Even if you don't
47 >> agree with the reasoning, it is worth to take a look at it.
48 >>
49 >> As for me, I would say one last time my POV: Linux strives to be much
50 >> more than Unix, and that means do things differently. It will always
51 >> be capable of do anything that Unix does, and most of the time it will
52 >> do it better. But that doesn't (necessarily) means that it will do it
53 >> in the same way.
54 >>
55 >> And many of us don't take "but my config/setup/partition works now" as
56 >> a valid argument to restrain progress.
57 >>
58 >> Change happens.
59 >>
60 >> Regards everyone.
61 >
62 > You say it was disinformation about /var.  Care to explain why me and one
63 > other person read the same thing?  It was mentioned on -dev.  I was pretty
64 > sure it was and then another person posted they read the same.  So, I'm
65 > almost certain it was said at this point.  Surely we can't both be wrong.
66
67 Where did you guys read it? Who said /var could not be in its own
68 partition anymore? What piece of code stops working if /var it's in
69 its own partition? Who is proposing that a separated /var will not be
70 supported in the future?
71
72 The thread I post talks about /var/run and /var/lock needing to be
73 symbolic links to /run and /lock, but AFAIK (and I tend to follow this
74 sort of things) /var not only can be in its own partition, it is the
75 recommended setup.
76
77 Saying that proposing /run and /lock to be available at boot time
78 means that in the future a separated /var partition could be not
79 supported is, in my book, disinformation. /var/run and /var/lock (by
80 definition) are almost empty (in space). /var/lib usually stores whole
81 databases. The difference is important and relevant.
82
83 Damn, this list is like crack.
84
85 Regards everyone.