From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:38:11
1 On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:42:00 -0400
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Alan Mackenzie<acm@×××.de>
8 > >>  wrote:
9 > >>>
10 > >>> Hi, everybody.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> Hope nobody minds me starting a new thread with an accurate name.
13 > >>>
14 > >>> Which version of udev is it that has this nauseating feature of
15 > >>> needing /usr loaded to boot?
16 > >>>
17 > >>> Somewhere in that version's source will be several (or lots of)
18 > >>> "/usr". Just how difficult is it going to be to replace
19 > >>> "/usr/bin" with "/bin" throughout the source?
20 > >>>
21 > >>> udev is part of the kernel.  How come the kernel hackers aren't
22 > >>> up in arms about this as much as we are?  Or are they, maybe?  In
23 > >>> which case, maybe the kernel people would welcome an option to
24 > >>> disrequire the early mounting of /usr as much as we would.
25 > >>>
26 > >>> Anyhow, I'd like to take a peek at the source code which does
27 > >>> this evil thing.  Would somebody please tell me which version of
28 > >>> udev is involved.
29 > >>>
30 > >>> Thanks.
31 > >>
32 > >> (This would be my only post in this new thread: I think I have
33 > >> made my point of view clear in the other thread).
34 > >>
35 > >> I have seen a lot of disinformation going on in the other threads
36 > >> (like some people suggesting that /var would not be able to be on
37 > >> its own partition at some point in the future). Just before
38 > >> everyone start to wildy conjecture, please take a look at this:
39 > >>
40 > >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
41 > >>
42 > >> Also, a look at this thread is maybe justified:
43 > >>
44 > >> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.systemd.devel/1728/
45 > >>
46 > >> Both things are in the context of systemd, but it's related to the
47 > >> discussion at hand. I know not everybody wants to use systemd, and
48 > >> think Lennart and Kay are the root of all that is wrong and evil on
49 > >> the world, but I will recommend everyone interested in the reasons
50 > >> of the push for a recommended initramfs to take a look at the page
51 > >> in fd.org, and the thread in the systemd mailing list. Even if you
52 > >> don't agree with the reasoning, it is worth to take a look at it.
53 > >>
54 > >> As for me, I would say one last time my POV: Linux strives to be
55 > >> much more than Unix, and that means do things differently. It will
56 > >> always be capable of do anything that Unix does, and most of the
57 > >> time it will do it better. But that doesn't (necessarily) means
58 > >> that it will do it in the same way.
59 > >>
60 > >> And many of us don't take "but my config/setup/partition works
61 > >> now" as a valid argument to restrain progress.
62 > >>
63 > >> Change happens.
64 > >>
65 > >> Regards everyone.
66 > >
67 > > You say it was disinformation about /var.  Care to explain why me
68 > > and one other person read the same thing?  It was mentioned on
69 > > -dev.  I was pretty sure it was and then another person posted they
70 > > read the same.  So, I'm almost certain it was said at this point.
71 > >  Surely we can't both be wrong.
72
73 The issue is not /var, it is /var/run.
74 This dir can be needed early in the boot process, but cannot be mounted
75 before /var is mounted. The solution is /run.
76
77 $DEITY help us when people start finding needed crap in /var/lib and
78 other such insanities.
82 Alan McKinnnon
83 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com