From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating hard drives
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 20:13:42
1 >>>> I'm about to switch from one SATA hard drive to another and I'm
2 >>>> planning on going through the normal installation process except for
3 >>>> copying over the data on each partition of my old drive to the
4 >>>> corresponding partition on my new drive. Is there anything to watch
5 >>>> out for? Pitfalls to avoid, etc?
6 >>>>
7 >>>> - Grant
8 >>>>
9 >>> You should take a look at this one:
10 >>> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Move_Gentoo_Installation_to_new_hard_disk
11 >>
12 >> Thank you, I've booted to a LiveCD I'm in the middle of copying
13 >> everything from the old drive to the new drive with:
14 >>
15 >> cp -ax /olddrive/* /newdrive/
16 >>
17 >> but it's taking hours. Both drives are SATAII and there is about
18 >> 250GB of data to transfer. The CD spins periodically, the hard disk
19 >> activity light stays lit, and I can hear the old drive working
20 >> periodically, but I'm thinking this is too long.
21 >>
22 >> Is there something I could have forgotten to do? Is there a way to
23 >> check on the progress?
24 >>
25 >> - Grant
26 >
27 > I switched VTs and used 'du -sh /newdisk' to verify that about 150GB
28 > has been copied. I guess it's just slow.
29 >
30 > - Grant
31
32 All booted into the new hard drive now, thanks a lot for everyone's help.
33
34 It looks like I have 620GB free on this 1TB disk. From what I've
35 read, formatting eats up about 7%, and I had 250Gb worth of data.
36 Does that mean about 60GB are being reserved for root?
37
38 - Grant