From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating hard drives
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:05:02
1 On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:13:40PM -0800, Penguin Lover Grant squawked:
2 > It looks like I have 620GB free on this 1TB disk. From what I've
3 > read, formatting eats up about 7%, and I had 250Gb worth of data.
4 > Does that mean about 60GB are being reserved for root?
5
6 If you used ext2/ext3 with mke2fs, the default is 5% reserved. If you
7 put the whole disk in one partition, than that works out to be just
8 about 50G. I don't know what you use the disk for, but it seems a bit
9 silly to have a 1TB disk in just 1 partition for the entire system and
10 waste 50G this way. Even just splitting the root and home partitions
11 would be nice. I mean, all system files, the portage tree, and the
12 distfiles should fit into 50G with no problem, having a 50G reserved
13 space really is silly.
14
15 Furthermore, if this disk is NOT a system disk, but just one for
16 data... then I ask, what's the point of leaving reserve space for
17 root?
18
19 W
20 --
21 Will will will unless Will wills willingly. Maybe Willow
22 ~tiredwired. Sunday Oct. 6. 6:00pm
23 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 743 days, 20:41