From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating hard drives
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 04:36:00
1 >> It looks like I have 620GB free on this 1TB disk. From what I've
2 >> read, formatting eats up about 7%, and I had 250Gb worth of data.
3 >> Does that mean about 60GB are being reserved for root?
4 >
5 > If you used ext2/ext3 with mke2fs, the default is 5% reserved. If you
6 > put the whole disk in one partition, than that works out to be just
7 > about 50G. I don't know what you use the disk for, but it seems a bit
8 > silly to have a 1TB disk in just 1 partition for the entire system and
9 > waste 50G this way. Even just splitting the root and home partitions
10 > would be nice. I mean, all system files, the portage tree, and the
11 > distfiles should fit into 50G with no problem, having a 50G reserved
12 > space really is silly.
13
14 Can I change the amount reserved for root?
15
16 - Grant