From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why bash script, that works in "Debian", does not work on "Gentoo" install CD?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 01:44:17
1 On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 00:24:09 +0700, Ста Деюс wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> But something tells me the reason of absence of the installer are
6 >>> much deeper.
7 >>
8 >> Yes, it is that no one has felt the need to devote the considerable
9 >> amount of time needed to code and test an installer that takes into
10 >> account the far wider range of choices in Gentoo.
13 > While there are some that consider the lack of an installer some kind
14 > of virtue, I think you've really hit the crux of it here. There is no
15 > reason that Gentoo couldn't have an installer that at least gives you
16 > a default stage3 to start from, or a few alternative options.
17 >
18 > However, in the end it requires that somebody actually build it. From
19 > what I've seen when this issue comes up people fall into two
20 > categories:
21 >
22 > 1. People who really want an installer because they're struggling to
23 > get Gentoo working. Well, if they struggle to get it working chances
24 > are they're going to struggle even more to build an installer for
25 > everybody else to use.
26 > 2. People who could build an installer if they wanted to, but they
27 > don't really need to, because they either are happy with doing it
28 > manually, or already have some rough scripts that are good enough for
29 > them.
30 >
31 > Nobody is going to "ban" a Gentoo installer, and there have been
32 > points in time where people have worked on one. However, until
33 > somebody actually both wants to build one and is able to build one we
34 > probably won't have one. That isn't some kind of policy - it is just
35 > the reality of how volunteer FOSS projects work.
38 Not to get away from OP's question, but how good would the installer
39 need to be before it held the interest of any developers that manage
40 the website or handbook?
41
42 I ask because the much simpler thing I suggested - fleshing out the
43 handbook - has been done and redone by some individuals and some of
44 the guides are truly inspired. Unfortunately, I think it keeps being
45 redone because these guides are hard to find and because the people
46 who make them have no way to contribute to the handbook.
47
48 Sakaki's EFI install guide, while very specific, is something that the
49 majority of people who want to use Linux but don't want to maintain
50 Portage seem to expect from the handbook. It actually tells them how
51 to configure most of the things that produce a modern x86 system that
52 interacts with a user. I mention it because it is the only guide I'm
53 aware of that has persisted long enough to be indexed by Google that
54 is also still relevant.
55
56 The problem most people seem to have with Gentoo is not necessarily
57 the installation process, but knowing what to configure after they
58 have it installed.
59
60 R0b0t1.