From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why bash script, that works in "Debian", does not work on "Gentoo" install CD?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 01:53:38
1 On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:44 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Not to get away from OP's question, but how good would the installer
4 > need to be before it held the interest of any developers that manage
5 > the website or handbook?
8 That is hard to say. I've been meaning to better integrate the
9 systemd install guide into the main handbook for ages (to make it more
10 like how various bootloaders are supported in the handbook/etc). I
11 just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe now that I have a bit more
12 time on my hands I will. It sounds like EFI is in a similar
13 situation.
14
15 A lot of these docs end up being written as standalone docs to be read
16 alongside the handbook, and they don't get integrated. There is no
17 reason that the handbook can't have branch points at the appropriate
18 places. In both the case of systemd or EFI there are probably only a
19 few points where somebody has to do something differently so having a
20 standalone guide just makes the process more confusing.
21
22 There was a proposal the other day to switch these kinds of documents
23 over to something other than pure Wiki markup to make it easier for
24 users to contribute. A wiki is nice in theory for user contributions,
25 but the problem is that many pages are locked down so that normal
26 users can't modify them, which defeats the purpose. That means that
27 it is actually harder for them to contribute, because they can't just
28 fork a document and contribute a pull request. It also makes it
29 harder for devs to make big changes because we can't just work on them
30 offline and get agreement before changing the main page.
34 Rich