From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why bash script, that works in "Debian", does not work on "Gentoo" install CD?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 04:02:49
1 On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:44 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Not to get away from OP's question, but how good would the installer
5 >> need to be before it held the interest of any developers that manage
6 >> the website or handbook?
9 > That is hard to say. I've been meaning to better integrate the
10 > systemd install guide into the main handbook for ages (to make it more
11 > like how various bootloaders are supported in the handbook/etc). I
12 > just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe now that I have a bit more
13 > time on my hands I will. It sounds like EFI is in a similar
14 > situation.
17 For reasons unrelated to this problem I think it might be a good idea
18 to try to figure that out, because when I joined the mailing list
19 quite a while ago there were some discussions about nonresponsive
20 developers. I don't think anyone was being malicious, but if something
21 requires that other people be present then it is immediately less
22 likely to happen.
23
24 What is unfortunate, and that may have been happening in the cases I
25 remember, is that a developer was inadvertently given an obligation to
26 do something without anyone realizing they were given that obligation
27 - so then later someone wants to do something and they have to put
28 forth effort whether they want to or not.
29
30 > A lot of these docs end up being written as standalone docs to be read
31 > alongside the handbook, and they don't get integrated. There is no
32 > reason that the handbook can't have branch points at the appropriate
33 > places. In both the case of systemd or EFI there are probably only a
34 > few points where somebody has to do something differently so having a
35 > standalone guide just makes the process more confusing.
38 If I'm right the only reason this is happening is because the Wiki
39 articles are, like you later say, mostly inaccessible.
40
41 > There was a proposal the other day to switch these kinds of documents
42 > over to something other than pure Wiki markup to make it easier for
43 > users to contribute. A wiki is nice in theory for user contributions,
44 > but the problem is that many pages are locked down so that normal
45 > users can't modify them, which defeats the purpose. That means that
46 > it is actually harder for them to contribute, because they can't just
47 > fork a document and contribute a pull request. It also makes it
48 > harder for devs to make big changes because we can't just work on them
49 > offline and get agreement before changing the main page.
52 My suggestion in this case is something that can render Markdown as
53 HTML. I find Markdown documentation very readable in either form. It's
54 also easy to track with Git and doesn't need any special tools besides
55 a text editor to manipulate. It looks like the Gollum Wiki
56 (https://github.com/gollum/gollum) project is a perfect fit. The
57 project is used by GitHub and has seen widespread deployment.
58
59 Will I be able to submit documentation PRs soon?
60
61 R0b0t1.