From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo on a VPS with little RAM
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 09:52:39
1 On Tuesday 27 Dec 2016 07:13:36 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Monday, December 26, 2016 09:45:47 PM Francesco Turco wrote:
3 > > Hello.
4 > >
5 > > I have a Vultr VPS instance with Arch Linux but I'd like to replace it
6 > > with Gentoo Linux. The last time I tried that I couldn't build some
7 > > packages because the kernel killed gcc after a while. Please notice this
8 > > VPS instance has only 768 MiB of RAM. What can I try besides removing
9 > > -pipe from C(XX)FLAGS and setting MAKEOPTS to -j1? Should I add a swap
10 > > partition? Currently there's only a single root btrfs filesystem with @,
11 > > @boot and @home subvolumes. Btrfs doesn't support a swap file as far as
12 > > I know.
13 > >
14 > > My VPS is currently used for the following things:
15 > > - Static personal website
16 > > - Shaarli (PHP application with no database)
17 > > - Tiny Tiny RSS (PHP application with database)
18 > > - ZNC server
19 > >
20 > > Thanks.
21 >
22 > You could try building all packages on your own system and then installing
23 > using "-k".
24 > That should avoid any out-of-memory issues.
25 >
26 > --
27 > Joost
28
29 Many packages require a lot of memory these days to compile, gcc being one of
30 them. With only 768 MiB of RAM you will *definitely* need a swap
31 file/partition. In addition, with so little memory you won't be able to
32 compile packages in tmpfs. Thrashing of your disks will go off scale as the
33 machine will try to swap memory to disk and back again.
34
35 For these reasons what Joost suggests is the best way. You could try to share
36 /usr/portage via NFS, but since this is a remote server I am not sure the
37 security model will be adequate for most use cases. It would be easier to
38 copy your VPS filesystem over to your local machine which is not resouce
39 constrained, chroot into it and then sync portage and emerge everything you
40 need with --buildpckg. Then copy over the binary packages to the VPS and
41 emerge them there with --usepkg or --usepkgonly. If you are disk space
42 constrained on the server, you don't have to copy over the binary packages
43 manually each time. Instead you can set up your home PC as a binary host and
44 serve the binary packages over ssh or over http/s to the VPS client.
45
46 Essentially, you will be creating your own bespoke binary distribution on your
47 home PC, then downloading it and installing it at your VPS. Have a look here
48 for some pointers:
49
50 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
53 Regards,