From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo on a VPS with little RAM
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 06:13:49
1 On Monday, December 26, 2016 09:45:47 PM Francesco Turco wrote:
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > I have a Vultr VPS instance with Arch Linux but I'd like to replace it
5 > with Gentoo Linux. The last time I tried that I couldn't build some
6 > packages because the kernel killed gcc after a while. Please notice this
7 > VPS instance has only 768 MiB of RAM. What can I try besides removing
8 > -pipe from C(XX)FLAGS and setting MAKEOPTS to -j1? Should I add a swap
9 > partition? Currently there's only a single root btrfs filesystem with @,
10 > @boot and @home subvolumes. Btrfs doesn't support a swap file as far as
11 > I know.
12 >
13 > My VPS is currently used for the following things:
14 > - Static personal website
15 > - Shaarli (PHP application with no database)
16 > - Tiny Tiny RSS (PHP application with database)
17 > - ZNC server
18 >
19 > Thanks.
20
21 You could try building all packages on your own system and then installing
22 using "-k".
23 That should avoid any out-of-memory issues.
26 Joost