From: "Stéphane Guedon" <stephane@××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: static-libs
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:08:17
1 Le Saturday 11 September 2010 22:52:09, walt a écrit :
2 > On 09/11/2010 02:13 AM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
3 > > synce few days, I have a message of portage suggestiung me to use the
4 > > "static- libs" USE flag for media-libs/jpeg-6b.
5 > >
6 > > What may be the consequence ? Please be gentle with explaining this sorte
7 > > of things, as I have not the knowledges to understand the full compile
8 > > process, otherwise I am a little bit familiar with it !
9 >
10 > I have jpeg-8b, so I can't be sure about 6b. I just turned on the
11 > static-libs USE flag and re-installed jpeg. The only difference is that
12 > the 'static' lib "/usr/lib/libjpeg.a" wasn't there before and it is now,
13 > that's all.
14 >
15 > Is your system trying to upgrade jpeg to a newer version? I notice that 6b
16 > doesn't use any USE flags, and the newer versions do use the static-libs
17 > flag. (Just re-installing 6b shouldn't complain about USE flags because
18 > the package doesn't look for them.)
19 >
20 > Any program that uses the dynamic libjpeg.so would need to be re-compiled
21 > if the version of jpeg changes. If the static library is used instead,
22 > the program no longer needs libjpeg.so because the static library is
23 > linked into the binary executable at compile-time. The price you pay is a
24 > larger binary executable, but you never need to worry about future jpeg
25 > version changes.
26 >
27 > I don't know how portage chooses between static and dynamic libs while
28 > building a package. Anyone else know?
29
30 In fact, static-libs is for jpeg-8b , but Imade a mistake when write the
31 mail...
32
33 So I can use the flag without worrying. Good !
34 Thanks !
37 Stéphane Guedon
38 page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/
39 carte de visite : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.vcf