From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: static-libs
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:52:41
1 On 09/11/2010 02:13 AM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
2 > synce few days, I have a message of portage suggestiung me to use the "static-
3 > libs" USE flag for media-libs/jpeg-6b.
4 >
5 > What may be the consequence ? Please be gentle with explaining this sorte of
6 > things, as I have not the knowledges to understand the full compile process,
7 > otherwise I am a little bit familiar with it !
8
9 I have jpeg-8b, so I can't be sure about 6b. I just turned on the static-libs
10 USE flag and re-installed jpeg. The only difference is that the 'static' lib
11 "/usr/lib/libjpeg.a" wasn't there before and it is now, that's all.
12
13 Is your system trying to upgrade jpeg to a newer version? I notice that 6b
14 doesn't use any USE flags, and the newer versions do use the static-libs flag.
15 (Just re-installing 6b shouldn't complain about USE flags because the package
16 doesn't look for them.)
17
18 Any program that uses the dynamic libjpeg.so would need to be re-compiled if
19 the version of jpeg changes. If the static library is used instead, the
20 program no longer needs libjpeg.so because the static library is linked into
21 the binary executable at compile-time. The price you pay is a larger binary
22 executable, but you never need to worry about future jpeg version changes.
23
24 I don't know how portage chooses between static and dynamic libs while building
25 a package. Anyone else know?