From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: static-libs
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:54:10
1 On 09/11/2010 01:52 PM, walt wrote:
2
3 > I don't know how portage chooses between static and dynamic libs while building
4 > a package.
5
6 Aha! Grepping through /usr/portage/eclass/* for 'static' taught me something:
7
8 xorg-2.eclass: myopts+=" $(use_enable static-libs static)"
9
10 So there is a "static" useflag in addition to "static-libs", which I'd never
11 noticed before.
12
13 I haven't actually tried the experiment yet, but I'm speculating that the
14 difference between 'static' and 'static-libs' is something like this:
15
16 Many packages install libraries so that other packages can use them. The
17 'static-libs' useflag tells a package to build and install the static version
18 of its own libraries *in addition to* the dynamic ones.
19
20 The 'static' useflag tells portage to build a package and link it against the
21 static versions of libraries that were installed by *other* packages.
22
23 Quiz for sober people: (That excludes moi ;)
24
25 What happens if portage builds a 'static' package that links against a library
26 that was installed without the 'static-libs' useflag being set?