From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: static-libs
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 01:11:41
1 > What happens if portage builds a 'static' package that links against a
2 > library
3 > that was installed without the 'static-libs' useflag being set?
4
5 http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/introduction.html writes:
6
7 "DL libraries aren't really a different kind of library format (both
8 static and shared libraries can be used as DL libraries);"
9
10 If I understand this at all, the term "static library" is a litle misleading.
11
12 * Libraries would be shared (in memory) and unshared.
13 * Executables would link static or dynamic (against both types).
14
15 The term "static library" would refer to unshared libraries, because
16 are typically linked statically (but must not).
17
18 Please correct me if I am wrong. I am new in the field.
19
20 Al