From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sudden case fan problems by switching to new kernel...
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 02:52:16
1 On 04/15 05:13, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2020-04-15 07:29, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > The configuration for kernel 5.6.3. (vanilla) works fine.for me. Then
5 > > I changed to kernel 5.6.4 using the same configuration.
6 > >
7 > > Suddenlu the fan at the back of my PC case never stops from rotating
8 > > at its highest speed. Changing back to kernel 5.6.3. and the problem
9 > > is gone.
10 >
11 > Something similar happened to me too with a recent kernel upgrade but in
12 > the 5.4's.
13 >
14 > The reason was that my kernel config changed to build the default CPU
15 > powersave driver as a module, and apparently that is a poor idea, it
16 > needs to be built in. When I rebuilt the kernel with the driver built
17 > in, the fan went back to normal.
18 >
19 > In your case: are both scenarios on the same hardware, since as we all
20 > know you're just switching?
21 >
22 > --
23 > Ian
24 >
25 Hi Ian,
26
27 I only switched the kernel. Anything else remains the same. I will
28 check for the "modules effect" you described and I am prettu sure,
29 that this will in my case, also!
30
31 I will report later, if a will have some results...
32
33 Cheers!
34 Meino