From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Sudden case fan problems by switching to new kernel...
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 00:13:46
1 On 2020-04-15 07:29, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2
3 > The configuration for kernel 5.6.3. (vanilla) works fine.for me. Then
4 > I changed to kernel 5.6.4 using the same configuration.
5 >
6 > Suddenlu the fan at the back of my PC case never stops from rotating
7 > at its highest speed. Changing back to kernel 5.6.3. and the problem
8 > is gone.
9
10 Something similar happened to me too with a recent kernel upgrade but in
11 the 5.4's.
12
13 The reason was that my kernel config changed to build the default CPU
14 powersave driver as a module, and apparently that is a poor idea, it
15 needs to be built in. When I rebuilt the kernel with the driver built
16 in, the fan went back to normal.
17
18 In your case: are both scenarios on the same hardware, since as we all
19 know you're just switching?
22 Ian