From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE update puzzle : solved
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:54:01
1 On 19/09/2021 14:06, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 210919 antlists wrote:
3 >> On 19/09/2021 08:03, Philip Webb wrote:
4 >>> Portage ought to be able to recognise when a set of pkgs
5 >>> are creating destructive circular dependencies among themselves
6 >>> & resolve the conflict by updating all of them together.
7 >> Until you hit my version of the problem,
8 >> where if a is not there, b crashes when you try to build it ...
9 >> And of course, installing a crashes because b is not there ...
10 >
11 > So you emerge both together :
12 > I've never run into a version of your case where that wasn't the solution.
13 > And I don't expect anything like that to happen
14 > with a related group of pkgs like Qt or KDE.
15 >
16 Well, seeing the fact that this particular case is plastered all over
17 the net with people trying to solve it, then emerging the two together
18 DOESN'T solve it.
19
20 The problem is that - in order to emerge either one - THE OTHER ONE MUST
21 HAVE BEEN EMERGED FIRST. Whoops ...
22
23 (If they're not already on your system, try installing something that
24 requires truetype. That will call in freetype, which won't emerge
25 because harfbuzz isn't there. But harfbuzz won't emerge, because
26 freetype isn't there. As in, they won't emerge even if you try and force
27 it, because configure will crash because it can't find the other one.)
28
29 Cheers,
30 Wol