From: Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:36:30
1 On Jan 11, 2012 5:57 PM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2012-01-10 2:12 PM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
4 wrote:
5 >>
6 >> The simpelest solution should be to copy the password-hash of a user
7 >> whose password is know to you.
8 >> Afterwards you can log in an change the password again.
11 > Thanks, I like that better and it worked like a charm, this way the root
12 account is never unprotected (even for a minute)... although remote root
13 login is disabled anyway...
14 >
15 >> And for the future:http://xkcd.com/936/ ;)
18 > I couldn't live without Passwordmaker (Firefox Addon), with it, I can
19 have as strong and random passwords as I want on every site, it auto fills
20 the username/password for me (if it is a web login page), but doesn't store
21 any password anywhere...
22 >
23 > http://passwordmaker.org/
26 While booting, pass init=/bin/bash in the kernel command line