From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Ext4 for a new installation?
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:56:13
1 >> Or would I be better off using ext3 and converting it to ext4 in a month
2 >> or two? Are there any downsides to converting a fs from ext3 to ext4 in this
3 >> way?
4 >
5 > The downsides are that you'll end up with missing ext4 features that will
6 > only apply to newly created files after the conversion. I recommend to just
7 > be clean about it and use ext4 from the start.
8 >
9 AFAIK this isn't true. You can 'convert' an ext3 filesystem to ext4
10 using ext4's defrag utility. See http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4.
13 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds