From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ext4 for a new installation?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 04:56:03
1 Stroller wrote:
2 > For more funroll-loopiness I contemplate using ext4 for the new system
3 > I'm about to install.
4 >
5 > Anyone know of any LiveCDs that would support this?
6
7 Yep, SystemRescueCD supports it:
8
9 http://www.sysresccd.org
10
11 It's even Gentoo-based, what a deal! ;)
14 > I _think_ it should be just a case of untarring the stage 3, chrooting
15 > in, updating everything to latest & reboot. As long as I use 2.6.28 when
16 > I install I don't think there should be anything that is incompatible
17 > with ext4??
18
19 Just do whatever you would do with ext3. Nothing fancy required. Of
20 course fstab needs ext4, not ext3.
23 > Or would I be better off using ext3 and converting it to ext4 in a month
24 > or two? Are there any downsides to converting a fs from ext3 to ext4 in
25 > this way?
26
27 The downsides are that you'll end up with missing ext4 features that
28 will only apply to newly created files after the conversion. I
29 recommend to just be clean about it and use ext4 from the start.