From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clickless screenshot...how?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:49:17
1 On 07/29 01:05, v_2e@×××.net wrote:
2 > On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:58:50 +0200
3 > tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > to display tracking informations (abondomed delivery) to an oversea
8 > > seller I need to screenshot a dropdown menu.
9 > > Unfortunately this dropdown menu only drops down when touched with
10 > > the mouse pointer.
11 > > This in turn prohibis any other action with the mourse (changeing
12 > > the window for example). The only chance I see is hitting any
13 > > magical key combo, which is not part of firefox shortcut.
14 > >
15 > > Long blabla ... short question:
16 > > Is there any screenshooter available which can be fully
17 > > handled via *configurable* keyboad shortcuts?
18 > >
19 > I can suggest a somewhat different approach. You may execute this
20 > command in the terminal (requires ImageMagick, which is rather
21 > ubiquitous):
22 >
23 > sleep 3 && import -window root output.png
24 >
25 > which will grab the entire screen after 3 seconds and save the image
26 > into 'output.png'. This way you can open any menu and choose any
27 > element of the menu _before_ the 'import' command gets executed.
28 >
29 > You could also play with parameters a bit. For example, you could
30 > extend the waiting time if you need. You could also redirect the output
31 > to the 'display' command (also from ImageMagick) in order to check the
32 > screenshot out before saving it to file (it is possible to save file
33 > from the 'display''s menu):
34 >
35 > sleep 3 && import -window root - | display
36 >
37 > So, this is not exactly what you asked (no control via hotkeys),
38 > however, the task of assigning the hotkeys may be solved separately.
39 > For example, the XFCE and JWM desktops (as well as virtually any
40 > desktop environment out there) let one assign the custom hotkeys for
41 > any commands. So it is easy to link the commands I suggested above to
42 > any hotkeys you want. I use it in JWM a lot.
43 >
44 > I hope, my suggestion is useful.
45 > Regards,
46 > Vladimir
47 >
48 > -----
49 > <v_2e@×××.net>
52 Hi Vladimir,
53
54 thanks for suggestions! :)
55
56 Yes...in this case the task to accomplish is more important, than
57 the way to do it! :)
58
59 I didn't know, that even imagemagick is able to shoot screens. ;)
60
61 My "dream" of a screenshot generator would be something of the
62 features and functionality of "Greenshot" -- unfortunately it
63 is windows only -- and I dont want windows.
66 Cheers
67 Meino