From: v_2e@×××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clickless screenshot...how?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:05:35
1 On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:58:50 +0200
2 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > to display tracking informations (abondomed delivery) to an oversea
7 > seller I need to screenshot a dropdown menu.
8 > Unfortunately this dropdown menu only drops down when touched with
9 > the mouse pointer.
10 > This in turn prohibis any other action with the mourse (changeing
11 > the window for example). The only chance I see is hitting any
12 > magical key combo, which is not part of firefox shortcut.
13 >
14 > Long blabla ... short question:
15 > Is there any screenshooter available which can be fully
16 > handled via *configurable* keyboad shortcuts?
17 >
18 I can suggest a somewhat different approach. You may execute this
19 command in the terminal (requires ImageMagick, which is rather
20 ubiquitous):
21
22 sleep 3 && import -window root output.png
23
24 which will grab the entire screen after 3 seconds and save the image
25 into 'output.png'. This way you can open any menu and choose any
26 element of the menu _before_ the 'import' command gets executed.
27
28 You could also play with parameters a bit. For example, you could
29 extend the waiting time if you need. You could also redirect the output
30 to the 'display' command (also from ImageMagick) in order to check the
31 screenshot out before saving it to file (it is possible to save file
32 from the 'display''s menu):
33
34 sleep 3 && import -window root - | display
35
36 So, this is not exactly what you asked (no control via hotkeys),
37 however, the task of assigning the hotkeys may be solved separately.
38 For example, the XFCE and JWM desktops (as well as virtually any
39 desktop environment out there) let one assign the custom hotkeys for
40 any commands. So it is easy to link the commands I suggested above to
41 any hotkeys you want. I use it in JWM a lot.
42
43 I hope, my suggestion is useful.
44 Regards,
45 Vladimir