From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update BIOS with 4MB .exe
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:07:35
1 > did you try, if your DELL is supported by libsmbios?
2 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Dell_BIOS_Upgrade
3 >
4 > Worked for me on 3 DELL-Computers (1 Desktop and 2 Laptops).
5 >
6 > Markus
7
8 Sometimes it just doesn't pay to *not* come to the list *first*. I
9 did get it working with unetbootin as mentioned in my other post.
10
11 Thanks guys,
12 Grant
15 >> I'm amazed this is so difficult but I've just spent 3 hours trying to
16 >> update the BIOS on my Dell XPS 13 and hit nothing but dead ends.  The
17 >> root of the problem seems to be that the 4MB BIOS update file is too
18 >> large for the available 1.44MB DOS boot disks.  Apparently FreeDOS had
19 >> a LiveCD available at some point but it has reportedly been
20 >> unavailable for quite some time.
21 >>
22 >> The following method looks promising but it also doesn't work.  DOS
23 >> can't seem to execute the .exe file which sits outside of the boot
24 >> image:
25 >>
26 >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/FreeDOS_Flash_Drive
27 >>