From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recent networking problems
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:23:26
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:32 AM, Peter Weilbacher
2 <newsspam@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > since about two weeks I have been fighting with networking problems on a
6 > laptop. It all started with a big sync & world update that gave me new
7 > udev-171-r5, wicd-1.7.1_pre20120127, tuxonice-sources-3.0.17,
8 > openrc-0.9.8.2, among other things (I'm mostly running stable). Symptoms are
9 > that I cannot even get wired _listed_ in wicd, and when connecting to
10 > various different wireless routers, the connection died quickly. The e1000e
11 > driver (for wired) apparently never detects when a cable is connected, and
12 > when trying it through /etc/init.d/net.eth0, dhcpcd times out when waiting
13 > for a carrier... I tried alternating kernels (tuxonice- and gentoo-sources,
14 > both older and new ones between 2.3.38-r1 and 3.2.1) and kernel
15 > configurations as well as downgrades of several suspect packages, without
16 > success.
17 >
18 > Does that ring a bell with someone? Any advice how I can track down these
19 > problems?
20
21 There was a thread a while back about wicd quit working. The solution
22 then was to edit /etc/wicd/manager-settings.conf and change the
23 backend from "external" to "ioctl".