From: Peter Weilbacher <newsspam@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Recent networking problems
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:01:26
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:32 AM, Peter Weilbacher
4 > <newsspam <at> weilbacher.org> wrote:
5 > > Hi all,
6 > >
7 > > since about two weeks I have been fighting with networking problems on a
8 > > laptop. It all started with a big sync & world update that gave me new
9 > > udev-171-r5, wicd-1.7.1_pre20120127, tuxonice-sources-3.0.17,
10 > > openrc-0.9.8.2, among other things (I'm mostly running stable). Symptoms are
11 > > that I cannot even get wired _listed_ in wicd, and when connecting to
12 > > various different wireless routers, the connection died quickly. The e1000e
13 > > driver (for wired) apparently never detects when a cable is connected, and
14 > > when trying it through /etc/init.d/net.eth0, dhcpcd times out when waiting
15 > > for a carrier... I tried alternating kernels (tuxonice- and gentoo-sources,
16 > > both older and new ones between 2.3.38-r1 and 3.2.1) and kernel
17 > > configurations as well as downgrades of several suspect packages, without
18 > > success.
19 > >
20 > > Does that ring a bell with someone? Any advice how I can track down these
21 > > problems?
22 >
23 > There was a thread a while back about wicd quit working. The solution
24 > then was to edit /etc/wicd/manager-settings.conf and change the
25 > backend from "external" to "ioctl".
26
27 Yes, I had seen that. Of course that doesn't help with my problem, since I
28 cannot connect wired even when bypassing wicd.
29
30 I was hoping for some hints which packages might be involved with finding a
31 wired connection. The kernel certainly, maybe udev, openrc (when using
32 /etc/init.d/net.eth0), but which others? And how can I reconfigure those to
33 let me debug what's going on?
34
35 Cheers,
36 Peter.