From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - vsftp 425 bad IP connecting
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:05:09
1 On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2
3 > One of my users is having a problem with FTP access to my server. He
4 > says that he can connect and get a listing for his home directory, but
5 > he can't do anything beyond seeing the listing. He's connecting from
6 > outside the network. I can connect and interact with my personal
7 > account through FTP just fine from inside the network, but everytime I
8 > try to connect like he does (using ftp.espersunited.com) I get a 425
9 > Security Bad IP error. I don't have access to a computer physically
10 > outside the network to use to diagnose this problem, so working around
11 > this Bad IP error is my only option. The IP address that
12 > ftp.espersunited.com points to is the external address of my router, so
13 > it might be complaining because the requesting IP is the same as the
14 > requested IP. Any help on fixing this? Google and the vsftpd.conf man
15 > page were no help...
16
17 Pleae be aware of how FTP works: there are two connections per user - one
18 is the control port and one is for data. With active FTP, the user's FTP
19 client picks a local port number for the data port. With passive FTP, the
20 server picks a data port number and tells the client what port number to
21 use. Obviously, your router and/or firewall needs to be configured to
22 allow both types of ports into your LAN and to forward the ports to the
23 correct place. Passive FTP is better from a firewall point of view but
24 your firewall still needs to know to open the port for incoming
25 connections. If you firewall is not capable of doing that then this wont
26 work and you may need to put you FTP server outside of your firewall in a
27 DMZ.
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list