From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] error during emerge --newuse --emptytree system
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:42:46
1 Karsten Gebbert wrote:
2
3 > Hello list,
4 >
5 > I have today attempted to do a stage 2 installation and I got to the
6 > point of building the system using emerge --newuse --emptytree system.
7 > I was not shure how to understand the Handbook entry in that respect,
8 > and I got an error like:
9 > !!!Files listed in the manifest do not exist! -- with another 32
10 > packages to be compiled left. I am not sure at all what to think of it
11 > and could not find a particular reason while searching on the net.
14 Errors like this are sometimes normal with Gentoo. If you happen to
15 emerge --sync in the middle of a server update, you may get some files
16 that were updated, and others that were not. There is also the
17 occasional bug that slips in but is quickly corrected.
18
19 In almost all cases, the right thing to do is to wait about an hour, and
20 run emerge --sync again.
21
22 In this case, you might try "emerge --resume --skipfirst" to try and
23 continue building the packages. But if the failing package is a
24 dependancy, well, portage will try to build that again...so you will be
25 back at the same spot.
26
27 > Should I have selected more mirrors earlier? I selected about 5 of the
28 > closest ones around London, so it should have been fine. Please help!
31 It has nothing to do with "GENTOO_MIRRORS" in /etc/make.conf...those are
32 just used for downloading the source packages. If you get problems with
33 the "fetch" stage of an emerge, then you need to check the mirrors again.
34
35 I am pretty sure that SYNC= (also in /etc/make.conf) should be left at
36 "rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage", unless you have a very good
37 reason to do otherwise.
38
39 -Richard
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list