From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Diskless nodes
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 19:01:13
1 On 03/16/2017 05:58 AM, karl@××××××××.se wrote:
2 > Thelma:
3 >> Is anybody running Diskless machine, booting over network?
4 >> How is the speed?
5 >
6 > I've done diskless before but it has been a few years since,
7 > it was working just fine. Don't remember any specific issues
8 > once you get it working.
9 >
10 >> I have a Gentoo machine running Windows7 via VM.
11 >> I need to network another PC and connect to that VM so I was thinking
12 >> setting up Diskless node but never done it before.
13 >
14 > You have to ask someone else about diskless MS-Windows.
17 Thanks for the input.
18
19 I think I would "tax" the resources on the serving machine too much. I
20 would need to run another VM-2 - Windows7 on the server that create
21 access to VM-1 - Windows7 running the main program on the server.
22
23 >> Would there be a problem with upgrades?
24 >> I know all the node files have to reside on Sever from which the node is
25 >> booting.
26 > ...
27 >
28 > You have to know which files are system dependent och which are common
29 > to all your diskless nodes and that depends on how and if you are
30 > using any shared directories/disks for the nodes.
31 >
32 > Regards,
33 > /Karl Hammar
34 >
36 > Aspö Data
37 > Lilla Aspö 148
38 > S-742 94 Östhammar
39 > Sweden
40 > +46 173 140 57
41
42 Sometimes I straggle with upgrades so introducing "diskless-node" might
43 create extra challenges.
46 Thelma