From: Kris Kerwin <kkerwin@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Portage Difficulties
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 22:54:22
1 Hi all,
2
3 Sorry about the obscure subject line, but I wasn't sure how to
4 concisely and correctly describe the problem in only a few words.
5
6 I tried installing xorg 7.0, but of course, as it is masked, it didn't
7 work. Since I'm a college student in the midst of finals, having a
8 working graphical desktop is mission critical right now, and I don't
9 have the time to tinker with it to get it to work. So, I reinstalled
10 6.8.2-r6. I did my best to remove all of the modular dependencies
11 that 7.0 installed (this was definantly the hardest part).
12
13 Now, however, whenever I try to emerge -Du world, I get warnings that
14 various packages want to reinstall some of the dependencies from the
15 7.0 tree, but can't because they're masked. Unfortunately, emerge
16 isn't very verbose, even with the -v option, and only returns one
17 blocker at a time (instead of all of them). Here is it's output as a
18 sample of the problem:
19
20 ---------------------
21 !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "x11-libs/libX11" have been masked.
22 !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
23 request:
24 - x11-libs/libX11-1.0.0-r2 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
25
26 For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
27 page or
28 refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
29 (dependency required by "app-text/ghostscript-esp-7.07.1-r8" [ebuild])
33 !!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-plugins/xmms-oss
34 !!! Depgraph creation failed.
35 ----------------------
36
37 Why is it that these various packages haven't switched their
38 dependecies back to the 6.8.2-r6 virtual for x11-xorg? Why are they
39 looking for dependencies from the 7.0 tree, still? Is it because I
40 still have some rogue 7.0 packages installed on this computer? And of
41 course, the mega-money question, how do I fix the problem? What other
42 information do you need to aid in diagnosing the problem?
43
44 Thanks in advance for all of your help!
45
46 Kris Kerwin
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list