From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gitlab experiences
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:14:17
1 Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > > Has anyone attempted to install a self hosted gitlab on gentoo server(s)?
7 > I would deploy it with docker. The gitlab guys push official images of the
8 > main gitlab app[1] and CI runners[2] to dockerhub. That should be
9 > the easiest path to getting it up and running in no time.
10
11 Docker runs everywhere, including Mesos clusters.
12
13 > That being said, gitlab does not really play well with clustering in
14 > general. I don't think the main part of the app does any kind of
15 > horizontal scaling (gitlab.com is hosted on a single server) so you need a
16 > fairly beefy server.
17
18 That's weird. Almost every type of heavy load is finding it's way to
19 clusters now; many via containers some on bare metal clusters. Granted, very
20 often a custom, scheduler/framework has to be modified or custom developed,
21 but I find it hard to believe there is no way to massively speed up
22 something like gitlab on a robust linux cluster. That dragon has been
23 sleighed for most all load problems, be it HPC, networking issues, or
24 security audits, etc etc. Often, a cloud/cluster software can be radically
25 sped up by allocating lots of extra ram to the framework it is running on.
26 Cloud vendors charge way to much for extra ram, so performance of
27 ram-intensive services are often run where there is ample ram.
28
29 > And while storage should be entirely up to you (the
30 > app _should_ be indifferent to what you use) most folks appear to run with
31 > local disks or NFS.
32
33 NFS is yesterday's cruft. Many are now using cephfs to replace NFS. Surely a
34 distributed file system (DFS) to work with the (master/slave) nodes in a
35 cluster is also keenly important. Granted the daddy of all cluster file
36 systems (HDFS) is a pig, but it is being actively replaces with a myriad of
37 DFS solutions. Using NFS in a linux cluster turns performance into a
38 cluster*F!!!. Just say no to NFS and learn about DFS. NFS is what clusters
39 used 15 years ago (beowulf/pvm). OrangeFS is an outgrowth if the old PVM
40 and is now part of the kernel (4.6+).
41
42 Any and all references as to why gitlab crawls, the more technical the
43 better, are of keen interest to me. It's not that I do not believe what you
44 are saying, it just more likely that someone with keen cluster skills has
45 not looked at gitlab. ymmv. The fact of what you are saying that gitlab does
46 not run fast on a cluster, is very bewildering to me, and wreaks of poor
47 architecture on the cluster it was tested on, more than anything else.
48 Scheduler/config/frameworks are properly needed to get large loads to fly on
49 a cluster. At this point, it a lot of work and a bit of black-arts....
50 Folks with deep pockets, are not failing to make any workload fly, in my
51 extensive research experiences.
54 > > > Any experiences with gitlab are most welcome for comment, good or bad.
55 > > Yes. Bad. Slow, unreactive, eats tons of resources. Doesn't scale with
56 > > large repos (except you have unlimited access to hardware resources). A
57 > > Linux kernel git mirror finally crashed it.
58
59 What are the specifics of the mirror setup, DFS and the crash?
60
61 > I can second that - it's slow and load times are long even when performing
62 > the most basic operations such as opening a small file or viewing a single
63 > commit (you _will_ notice - it regulary takes several seconds). Mind you
64 > the gitlab folks are working on improving this since several releases.
65
66 Sounds like they need a cluster architect to help them select the relevant
67 cluster tools and tune/modify/develop a custom scheduler and frameworks, for
68 each of the sub problems. Also, most projects are fairly clueless about
69 tuning the underlying linux kernels for cluster operations. Stock vendor
70 kernels are 'dog-crap' for linux clusters, but that is another entire set of
71 problems.
74 > As a user, another issue I have with it is that the merge request/review
75 > interface is just terrible. There is _no_ merge request versioning, so
76 > either you submit your code in perfect shape at first try, or any change
77 > (amending/rebasing/merging) will cause the changelist to be duplicated
78 > many times over. You also lose track of the review history instantly - old
79 > comments are either concealed or swallowed.
80
81 > There is also no CLI utility to automate common review-related tasks
82 > (submitting/responding to review) so you are forced to do everything over
83 > the slow WebUI.
84
85 That does sound bad...
86
87 > If you care at all about the codereview aspects, I would recommend gerrit
88 > or phabricator. Both have cli utilities (git-review and arcanist) and
89 > while some claim they are ugly (heard that one especially about
90 > gerrit) they are 100x more practical.
91
92 > If you only care about having a repository browser then gitlab can work
93 > but there are simpler apps out there (gogs/pagure).
94
95 Interesting comments.
96
97 thanks,