From: Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gitlab experiences
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:04:54
1 On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 03:19:00PM +0200, Ralf wrote:
2 > Hi James,
3 >
4 > On 07/13/16 14:44, James wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Has anyone attempted to install a self hosted gitlab on gentoo server(s)?
7 > > A small gentoo cluster/container setup? Using a Distributed File System,
8 > > like cephfs, orangefs or other DFS?
9 > I recommend to deploy gitlab inside a Debian LXC/Docker container as
10 > Gitlab guys provide and maintain precompiled .deb packages. You do not
11 > want to compile it on your own as it comes with a load of dependencies.
12 > And once dependencies change you really might run into trouble with
13 > gentoo. Gitlab isn't just a tiny one-click-and-it-runs webservice, it's
14 > a whole ecosystem.
15
16 I would deploy it with docker. The gitlab guys push official images of the
17 main gitlab app[1] and CI runners[2] to dockerhub. That should be
18 the easiest path to getting it up and running in no time.
19
20 That being said, gitlab does not really play well with clustering in
21 general. I don't think the main part of the app does any kind of
22 horizontal scaling (gitlab.com is hosted on a single server) so you need a
23 fairly beefy server. And while storage should be entirely up to you (the
24 app _should_ be indifferent to what you use) most folks appear to run with
25 local disks or NFS.
29 > > Any experiences with gitlab are most welcome for comment, good or bad.
30 > Yes. Bad. Slow, unreactive, eats tons of resources. Doesn't scale with
31 > large repos (except you have unlimited access to hardware resources). A
32 > Linux kernel git mirror finally crashed it.
33
34 I can second that - it's slow and load times are long even when performing
35 the most basic operations such as opening a small file or viewing a single
36 commit (you _will_ notice - it regulary takes several seconds). Mind you
37 the gitlab folks are working on improving this since several releases.
38
39 As a user, another issue I have with it is that the merge request/review
40 interface is just terrible. There is _no_ merge request versioning, so
41 either you submit your code in perfect shape at first try, or any change
42 (amending/rebasing/merging) will cause the changelist to be duplicated
43 many times over. You also lose track of the review history instantly - old
44 comments are either concealed or swallowed.
45
46 There is also no CLI utility to automate common review-related tasks
47 (submitting/responding to review) so you are forced to do everything over
48 the slow WebUI.
49
50 If you care at all about the codereview aspects, I would recommend gerrit
51 or phabricator. Both have cli utilities (git-review and arcanist) and while
52 some claim they are ugly (heard that one especially about gerrit) they are
53 100x more practical.
54
55 If you only care about having a repository browser then gitlab can work
56 but there are simpler apps out there (gogs/pagure).
59 [1]: https://hub.docker.com/r/gitlab/gitlab-ce/
60 [2]: https://hub.docker.com/r/gitlab/gitlab-runner/