From: Adrian <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage tree hosed?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 02:30:12
1 On Mon, 8 May 2006 10:50:59 -0300
2 "Daniel da Veiga" <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote the words:
3
4 > On 5/7/06, Adrian <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Greetings. I'm trying to set up a new Gentoo box.
7 > >
8 > > I downloaded the latest portage snapshot, untared it and ran
9 > >
10 > > emerge regen
13 > you mean emerge --metadata don't you?! because that's all you need
14 > after a snapshot update.
15
16 First i did regen. After reading the man page again I found --metadata
17 and tried that. I didn't help at all. I may simply try again to see
18 if it makes any difference. I have a few other things to try first.
19
20 > > now everything I try to emerge I get:
21 > >
22 > > Security Violation: A file exists that is not in the manifest
25 > That's caused because newer versions of emerge use a feature called
26 > "strict" that checks the manifest and files comparing them (using md5,
27 > if I'm not mistaken). You can:
28 >
29 > 1) bypass this by using FEATURES="-strict" on make.conf.
30 > 2) emerge-webrsync && emerge --metadata
31 >
32 > Both of them work for me, but I strongly suggest the second because
33 > strict is a good feature.
34
35 I see. Thanks for explaining, and telling me how to bypass it.
36
37 > > From doing a google, it looks like i need to run
38 > >
39 > > emerge sync
40 > >
41 > > in order to fix this. However, if I could sync then I wouldn't be
42 > > doing this. Everytime I try to sync it times out and I never
43 > > finish. I'm on dial-up, so it's a bit slow. I am trying to install
44 > > emerge-delta-webrsync and try from there, but of course, I can't
45 > > emerge anything . . .
46 >
47 > download the mirrorselect tool and choose another server for rsync,
48 > then update (or use it to update with output redirection) your
49 > make.conf and be happy.
50 >
51 > If you REALLY need anything installed, even in order to fix your
52 > portage or anything like that, use the "-strict" option to do whatever
53 > it takes to put your portage back in order, then REMOVE THE "-strict"
54 > option and try again till it works (you can upgrade portage, python,
55 > etc).
56
57 I used "-strict" to install emerge-delta-webrsync and mirrorselect and
58 update rsync. After that I still get timeout problems with emerge sync
59 and emerge-delta-webrsync has been unsuccessful so far.
60
61 Thank you for your help, I'll be back when I know & have tired more.
62
63 Adrian
67 On The Fly Photography -:- Creation From Chaos
68
69 On The Fly Photography: http://204EastSouth.com
70 Purchase from On The Fly: http://204EastSouth.com/OTFStore.htm
71 The Cynical Libertarian Society: http://www.204EastSouth.com/cls