From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage tree hosed?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 13:57:05
1 On 5/7/06, Adrian <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Greetings. I'm trying to set up a new Gentoo box.
4 >
5 > I downloaded the latest portage snapshot, untared it and ran
6 >
7 > emerge regen
10 you mean emerge --metadata don't you?! because that's all you need
11 after a snapshot update.
12
13 > now everything I try to emerge I get:
14 >
15 > Security Violation: A file exists that is not in the manifest
18 That's caused because newer versions of emerge use a feature called
19 "strict" that checks the manifest and files comparing them (using md5,
20 if I'm not mistaken). You can:
21
22 1) bypass this by using FEATURES="-strict" on make.conf.
23 2) emerge-webrsync && emerge --metadata
24
25 Both of them work for me, but I strongly suggest the second because
26 strict is a good feature.
27
28 > From doing a google, it looks like i need to run
29 >
30 > emerge sync
31 >
32 > in order to fix this. However, if I could sync then I wouldn't be
33 > doing this. Everytime I try to sync it times out and I never finish.
34 > I'm on dial-up, so it's a bit slow. I am trying to install
35 > emerge-delta-webrsync and try from there, but of course, I can't emerge
36 > anything . . .
37
38 download the mirrorselect tool and choose another server for rsync,
39 then update (or use it to update with output redirection) your
40 make.conf and be happy.
41
42 If you REALLY need anything installed, even in order to fix your
43 portage or anything like that, use the "-strict" option to do whatever
44 it takes to put your portage back in order, then REMOVE THE "-strict"
45 option and try again till it works (you can upgrade portage, python,
46 etc).
47
48 Good luck,
51 Daniel da Veiga