From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 06:49:02
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 11:17:13 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >>> https://xkcd.com/936/
5 >> Not strictly true ... the crackers would probably use rainbow tables
6 >> attacks first. Also, it isn't fair to compare an 11 character passwd
7 >> against a 25 character passwd. For the *same* number of characters
8 >> used in any given passwd, a random lower/upper/numerical/symbol passwd
9 >> will provide an exponentially higher degree of difficulty in cracking
10 >> it with brute force, than one which uses only lower case dictionary
11 >> words. Anyway, these days many attacks are focused on OS or hardware
12 >> vulnerabilities which have been baked in by design, rather than brute
13 >> force attacks.
14 > I'm not sure xkcd is meant to be taken that seriously...
19 Sort of picking a random message to reply to here.  Someone sent a reply
20 off list about checking passwords on my system with tools available.
21 They also mentioned not trusting strength meters which I can get since
22 they pass some obvious passwords.  I used three meters and some sort of
23 common sense as well.  I found cracklib-check after some digging.  I
24 used that to try to check my password and get this weird response.
25
26 -su: me-supper-secret-password-here;): event not found
27
28 I'm going to try to emulate my password without actually posting it, for
29 obvious reasons.  You all are smart enough to understand why.  ROFL  It
30 has some of the following 'stuff' in it.  !sdER*ark4567#  As you can
31 tell, I use some of those things on the tops of the number keys.  It
32 seems that confuses cracklib just a bit.  BTW, I was running that as
33 root just to be sure it wasn't a permissions issue.  I tried a few
34 different things but it seems the "!" is triggering that at least, maybe
35 others too.  The command works fine with just normal stuff.  That leads
36 me to this question.  Is there a tool I can use/install that will test a
37 password, try to crack it if you will, that will work regardless of the
38 characters used?  In other words, it doesn't mind the things on top of
39 the number keys.
40
41 BTW, I've also whittled it down to something a little easier to type
42 too.  Feel sorry for any poor fool trying to just guess it.  lol  May
43 have better luck with P vs NP.  ;-)
44
45 Thanks.
46