From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 09:55:37
1 On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 06:48:53 GMT Dale wrote:
2
3 > Sort of picking a random message to reply to here. Someone sent a reply
4 > off list about checking passwords on my system with tools available.
5 > They also mentioned not trusting strength meters which I can get since
6 > they pass some obvious passwords. I used three meters and some sort of
7 > common sense as well. I found cracklib-check after some digging. I
8 > used that to try to check my password and get this weird response.
9 >
10 > -su: me-supper-secret-password-here;): event not found
11 >
12 > I'm going to try to emulate my password without actually posting it, for
13 > obvious reasons. You all are smart enough to understand why. ROFL It
14 > has some of the following 'stuff' in it. !sdER*ark4567# As you can
15 > tell, I use some of those things on the tops of the number keys. It
16 > seems that confuses cracklib just a bit. BTW, I was running that as
17 > root just to be sure it wasn't a permissions issue. I tried a few
18 > different things but it seems the "!" is triggering that at least, maybe
19 > others too. The command works fine with just normal stuff.
20
21 Hmm ... I don't get such problem here, when I run cracklib as a plain user:
22
23 $ cracklib-check
24 password
25 password: it is based on a dictionary word
26 p4ssw0rd
27 p4ssw0rd: it is based on a dictionary word
28 p477w0rd
29 p477w0rd: OK
30 !sdER*ark4567#
31 !sdER*ark4567#: OK
32 helloworld
33 helloworld: OK
34 reallysecurepassword
35 reallysecurepassword: OK
36
37 LOL!
38
39 Could it be something to do with your terminal/shell? I've run the above with
40 bash in a urxvt terminal.
43 > That leads
44 > me to this question. Is there a tool I can use/install that will test a
45 > password, try to crack it if you will, that will work regardless of the
46 > characters used? In other words, it doesn't mind the things on top of
47 > the number keys.
48 >
49 > BTW, I've also whittled it down to something a little easier to type
50 > too. Feel sorry for any poor fool trying to just guess it. lol May
51 > have better luck with P vs NP. ;-)
52 >
53 > Thanks.
54 >
55 > Dale
56 >
58
59 I've used app-crypt/johntheripper in the distant past, but you'll need a good
60 word list for it to be useful. Some of the wordlists I had found at the time
61 were too big to download over dial-up! :p
64 Regards,
65 Mick