From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:13:55
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 06:48:53 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Sort of picking a random message to reply to here. Someone sent a reply
5 >> off list about checking passwords on my system with tools available.
6 >> They also mentioned not trusting strength meters which I can get since
7 >> they pass some obvious passwords. I used three meters and some sort of
8 >> common sense as well. I found cracklib-check after some digging. I
9 >> used that to try to check my password and get this weird response.
10 >>
11 >> -su: me-supper-secret-password-here;): event not found
12 >>
13 >> I'm going to try to emulate my password without actually posting it, for
14 >> obvious reasons. You all are smart enough to understand why. ROFL It
15 >> has some of the following 'stuff' in it. !sdER*ark4567# As you can
16 >> tell, I use some of those things on the tops of the number keys. It
17 >> seems that confuses cracklib just a bit. BTW, I was running that as
18 >> root just to be sure it wasn't a permissions issue. I tried a few
19 >> different things but it seems the "!" is triggering that at least, maybe
20 >> others too. The command works fine with just normal stuff.
21 > Hmm ... I don't get such problem here, when I run cracklib as a plain user:
22 >
23 > $ cracklib-check
24 > password
25 > password: it is based on a dictionary word
26 > p4ssw0rd
27 > p4ssw0rd: it is based on a dictionary word
28 > p477w0rd
29 > p477w0rd: OK
30 > !sdER*ark4567#
31 > !sdER*ark4567#: OK
32 > helloworld
33 > helloworld: OK
34 > reallysecurepassword
35 > reallysecurepassword: OK
36 >
37 > LOL!
38 >
39 > Could it be something to do with your terminal/shell? I've run the above with
40 > bash in a urxvt terminal.
45 He he he he.  It was the idiot in the chair.  The idiot in the chair
46 thought it was done this way, like I saw on a website that must be
47 outdated.
48
49 root@fireball / # cracklib-check !sdER*ark4567#
50 -su: !sdER: event not found
51 root@fireball / #
52
53 After seeing your reply, I realize I just type the command and it
54 prompts me for a password.  I ctrl c to exit.  Well, ain't that
55 something?  You can stop laughing now.  ;-)
56
57 It seems to think helloworld and reallysecurepassword is OK.  I have to
58 question just how good this tool is at this point.  Maybe I need to
59 install some more stuff here.  Pardon me while I go find some more of
60 this.  Something has to be missing.  :/
61
62 Dale
63