From: Michael Schwartzkopff <ms@××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:04:25
1 Am 05.02.19 um 10:55 schrieb Mick:
2 > On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 06:48:53 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Sort of picking a random message to reply to here. Someone sent a reply
5 >> off list about checking passwords on my system with tools available.
6 >> They also mentioned not trusting strength meters which I can get since
7 >> they pass some obvious passwords. I used three meters and some sort of
8 >> common sense as well. I found cracklib-check after some digging. I
9 >> used that to try to check my password and get this weird response.
10 >>
11 >> -su: me-supper-secret-password-here;): event not found
12 >>
13 >> I'm going to try to emulate my password without actually posting it, for
14 >> obvious reasons. You all are smart enough to understand why. ROFL It
15 >> has some of the following 'stuff' in it. !sdER*ark4567# As you can
16 >> tell, I use some of those things on the tops of the number keys. It
17 >> seems that confuses cracklib just a bit. BTW, I was running that as
18 >> root just to be sure it wasn't a permissions issue. I tried a few
19 >> different things but it seems the "!" is triggering that at least, maybe
20 >> others too. The command works fine with just normal stuff.
21 > Hmm ... I don't get such problem here, when I run cracklib as a plain user:
22 >
23 > $ cracklib-check
24 > password
25 > password: it is based on a dictionary word
26 > p4ssw0rd
27 > p4ssw0rd: it is based on a dictionary word
28 > p477w0rd
29 > p477w0rd: OK
30 > !sdER*ark4567#
31 > !sdER*ark4567#: OK
32 > helloworld
33 > helloworld: OK
34 > reallysecurepassword
35 > reallysecurepassword: OK
36 >
37 > LOL!
38 >
39 > Could it be something to do with your terminal/shell? I've run the above with
40 > bash in a urxvt terminal.
43 >> That leads
44 >> me to this question. Is there a tool I can use/install that will test a
45 >> password, try to crack it if you will, that will work regardless of the
46 >> characters used? In other words, it doesn't mind the things on top of
47 >> the number keys.
48 >>
49 >> BTW, I've also whittled it down to something a little easier to type
50 >> too. Feel sorry for any poor fool trying to just guess it. lol May
51 >> have better luck with P vs NP. ;-)
52 >>
53 >> Thanks.
54 >>
55 >> Dale
56 >>
57 >> :-) :-)
58 > I've used app-crypt/johntheripper in the distant past, but you'll need a good
59 > word list for it to be useful. Some of the wordlists I had found at the time
60 > were too big to download over dial-up! :p
61 >
62 A good password also has to be memorizable. See:
63
64 https://xkcd.com/936/
67 Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
71 [*] sys4 AG
72
73 https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
74 Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München
75
76 Sitz der Gesellschaft: München, Amtsgericht München: HRB 199263
77 Vorstand: Patrick Ben Koetter, Marc Schiffbauer, Wolfgang Stief
78 Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Florian Kirstein