From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: switched from SiS to VIA chipset -> vesa framebuffer broken
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:48:01
1 > this is a really strange issue i'm having:
2 >
3 > i changed the motherboard, nothing else. I know have a K8T800Pro based
4 > motherboard. The old one was SiS-chipset based.
5 >
6 > So i was already running the vesa frambuffer at 1280x1024, 16-bit. And
7 > actually it worked perfect!
8 >
9 > No, after the switch to the VIA-chipset based Motherboard, i don't see
10 > the text that's printed to the screen. The resulition is switched, but
11 > the upper half of the screen stays black. When the text reaches the
12 > lower half, then i see the text, and then we come to the point, where
13 > the consolefont is set. And guess what:
14 >
15 > then suddenly everything works. I can see the text on the whole screen
16 > and so on.
17 >
18 > So something is wrong here.
19 >
20 > Any clue, how i might fix it?
21
22 So my theory is, that the System-BIOS (which uses graphics mode too,
23 IMHO) does some strange initialization of the graphics card, and the
24 linux-kernel doesn't reset it.