From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Au revoir, gnome-3.8
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 00:48:24
1 On 08/07/2013 04:25 PM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 07 2013, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 07/08/13 05:25, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
5 >>> On Tue, Aug 06 2013, Samuli Suominen wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> that's only because gnome 3.8 hasn't been stabilized yet. as in, there
8 >>>> are no plans in keeping gnome 2.x available after gnome 3.8
9 >>>> stabilization.
10 >>>
11 >>> Am I correct in believing that gnome-3.8 (whether in testing as now, or
12 >>> stable later) requires init=systemd? I am converting an old ~amd64
13 >>> machine to systemd for practice so that I can convert my main laptop
14 >>> (also ~amd64) to systemd. The purpose of the conversions is to run
15 >>> gnome-3.8 and higher. I have other machines running stable. Will I
16 >>> need to convert them to systemd when gnome-3.8 becomes stable and if so
17 >>> will the systemd wiki be expanded.
18 >>
19 >> Yes, GNOME 3.8+ does require sys-apps/systemd installed and running as
20 >> init= for full functionality[1]
21 >>
22 >> However if you don't care about full functionality[1] you can still
23 >> run GNOME 3.8+ with OpenRC while sys-apps/systemd is installed
24 >> (because sys-apps/systemd has it's own copy of udev that still works
25 >> with OpenRC)
26 >>
27 >> [1] HW support, like (auto)mounting and suspend/hibernate
28 >
29 > Thanks for the explanation. Since suspend/resume is important for me, I
30 > will keep up the effort to go to systemd.
31
32 I like systemd a lot more than some other gentoo users in this group but
33 as I implied in my original post, it is still very much in development,
34 in gentoo anyway, and some important gentoo packages still lack the
35 *.system config files that systemd absolutely needs to work with those
36 packages.
37
38 A good way to learn about the *.system config files is to look at other
39 distros that have already switched to systemd, like fedora and arch, for
40 example.
41
42 I've said all this before several times in other threads, so I beg the
43 forgiveness of the other old farts that hang out here :p