From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Au revoir, gnome-3.8
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 23:25:32
1 On Wed, Aug 07 2013, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2
3 > On 07/08/13 05:25, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Aug 06 2013, Samuli Suominen wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> that's only because gnome 3.8 hasn't been stabilized yet. as in, there
7 >>> are no plans in keeping gnome 2.x available after gnome 3.8
8 >>> stabilization.
9 >>
10 >> Am I correct in believing that gnome-3.8 (whether in testing as now, or
11 >> stable later) requires init=systemd? I am converting an old ~amd64
12 >> machine to systemd for practice so that I can convert my main laptop
13 >> (also ~amd64) to systemd. The purpose of the conversions is to run
14 >> gnome-3.8 and higher. I have other machines running stable. Will I
15 >> need to convert them to systemd when gnome-3.8 becomes stable and if so
16 >> will the systemd wiki be expanded.
17 >
18 > Yes, GNOME 3.8+ does require sys-apps/systemd installed and running as
19 > init= for full functionality[1]
20 >
21 > However if you don't care about full functionality[1] you can still
22 > run GNOME 3.8+ with OpenRC while sys-apps/systemd is installed
23 > (because sys-apps/systemd has it's own copy of udev that still works
24 > with OpenRC)
25 >
26 > [1] HW support, like (auto)mounting and suspend/hibernate
27
28 Thanks for the explanation. Since suspend/resume is important for me, I
29 will keep up the effort to go to systemd.
30
31 allan