From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot Partitions
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:13:48
1 On 02/28/2011 07:25 AM, dhk wrote:
2 > On 02/28/2011 06:39 AM, Mick wrote:
3 >> On 28 February 2011 11:26, dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Thanks for all the input. It helped clear up a lot of questions. I
6 >>> spent the weekend installing to Operating Systems and it looks like it
7 >>> almost worked. I think the problem is in the Grub setup, so it should
8 >>> be repairable once I find the mistake. If it's something else, I may be
9 >>> doing this again next weekend.
10 >>>
11 >>> Thanks again,
12 >>>
13 >>> dhk
14 >>
15 >> What error does it give you?
16 >>
17 >> PS. Are you chainloading Gentoo from the MSWindows boot manager, or
18 >> MSWindows from GRUB?
19 >
20 > I did everything in Grub and haven't touched the MS Windows partitions
21 > since the initial install.
22 >
23 > The problem looks like Grub and some other stuff. Can't boot to Windows
24 > or Linux. It looks like the Grub menu never comes up. However, it
25 > seems to know about it, because the menu options can still gets executed
26 > either after the time out or by pressing Enter. Then some stuff gets
27 > printed to the screen and the boot process begins, but it errors before
28 > the Operating Systems come up. When trying to boot to Windows, I have
29 > no idea why it errors. When trying to boot to Linux, the fsck.ext3
30 > fails on /dev/sda7 which is my root partition. It seems to think it's
31 > ext2, but when I checked (by booting to the livecd) with tune2fs -j it
32 > says it's already journaling. After the boot fails and I give the root
33 > password, I looked in /dev and there aren't any sda partitions and I
34 > have 12 on the disk. My disk looks like the following.
35 >
36 > Filesystem ~Size Mounted
37 > /dev/sda1 128M MS Windows 7 boot partition - HPFS/NTFS
38 > /dev/sda2 50G MS Windows 7 - HPFS/NTFS
39 > /dev/sda3 512M /boot - ext2
40 > /dev/sda4 extended partition
41 > /dev/sda5 512M swap
42 > /dev/sda6 5G FAT32
43 > /dev/sda7 12G / - ext3
44 > /dev/sda8 50G LVM2 - ext3
45 > /dev/sda9 50G LVM2 - ext3
46 > /dev/sda10 50G LVM2 - ext3
47 > /dev/sda11 50G LVM2 - ext3
48 > /dev/sda12 50G LVM2 - ext3
49 > /dev/mapper/vg-usr 8G /usr
50 > /dev/mapper/vg-home 5G /home
51 > /dev/mapper/vg-opt 3G /opt
52 > /dev/mapper/vg-var 2G /var
53 > /dev/mapper/vg-tmp 1G /tmp
54 >
55 > Thanks
56 > dhk
60 Alright, I found a couple thing in Grub that I had wrong. 1) The
61 (hd0,0) for the splash should have been (hd0,2). That fixed the problem
62 with no Grub menu. 2) The Windows menu option was (hd0,1) and should
63 have been (hd0,0) for the Windows boot partition not the Window
64 Operating System.
65
66 Now when I boot the Grub menu comes up and booting to Windows works.
67 However, I still have the same problem booting to Linux. It chokes on
68 /dev/sda7 which is my root partition and my real_root kernel option.
69
70 Thanks,
71 dhk