From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Duel boot - How to verify boot loader updates?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 18:39:52
1 On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 10:57 AM Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Friday, 9 December 2022 17:17:24 GMT Mark Knecht wrote:
4 <SNIP>
5 > > It's not totally a thought experiment. One machine I have which
6 > > is dual boot recently complained that the original disk grub was
7 > > installed on had changed when in fact there hadn't been any
8 > > hardware changes and I had to carefully figure out how to
9 > > answer a couple of questions. After the fact I started to wonder
10 > > about this edge case.
11 > >
12 > > I think it comes down to reading what's on the disk with a
13 > > hex editor possibly but I know nothing about what to expect
14 > > there.
15 > >
16 > > Thanks,
17 > > Mark
18 >
19 > Before I venture a potentially wrong answer, could you please clarify if
20 we
21 > are talking about a UEFI MoBo, or a legacy BIOS MoBo.
22
23 The specific machine where this happened is UEFI.
24
25 Thanks