From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Duel boot - How to verify boot loader updates?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 17:57:15
1 On Friday, 9 December 2022 17:17:24 GMT Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 4:07 AM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 11:55, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > To check the GRUB version of the second OS without booting into it, you
5 >
6 > can
7 >
8 > > > grep for grub in its /var/log/emerge.log
9 > >
10 > > Or see what version is named in the /usr/share/doc/grub-2.?? folder name.
11 > >
12 > > On the other hand, if the question is *really* about knowing if
13 > > grub-install has been run on one of the machines, I don't know if
14 > > there is a way. Probably look at change dates on the files in
15 > > /boot/grub/?
16 > >
17 > > Regards,
18 > > Arve
19 >
20 > Thanks to both of you for your responses. I appreciate them, although I
21 > don't think they get as far down in the weeds as I was wondering about.
22 >
23 > My understanding of the boot loader - and maybe I'm using the wrong
24 > terminology so if I am someone please correct me - is that at the start
25 > of boot BIOS tells the processor to read some part of the disk and it is
26 > the code read there that gets the whole process kicked off and
27 > out of BIOS's control.
28 >
29 > I'm wondering about that first bit of code being written by installation
30 > #2's update into the initial section of installation #1's disk.
31 >
32 > Rethink the picture a bit and make installation #1 Windows and
33 > installation #2 Linux. Assume that after updating each install, and
34 > further assume both installs made some very minor change to their
35 > own first bits of code on the disk, and assume everything still
36 > boots correctly, BUT assume that one of the updates actually
37 > wrote into the other install's initial boot code and replaced it with
38 > their own because it was confused about which disk it was
39 > supposed to put this on. How would I be able to determine that
40 > this happened?
41 >
42 > It's not totally a thought experiment. One machine I have which
43 > is dual boot recently complained that the original disk grub was
44 > installed on had changed when in fact there hadn't been any
45 > hardware changes and I had to carefully figure out how to
46 > answer a couple of questions. After the fact I started to wonder
47 > about this edge case.
48 >
49 > I think it comes down to reading what's on the disk with a
50 > hex editor possibly but I know nothing about what to expect
51 > there.
52 >
53 > Thanks,
54 > Mark
55
56 Before I venture a potentially wrong answer, could you please clarify if we
57 are talking about a UEFI MoBo, or a legacy BIOS MoBo.