From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext4 status - Alternative to ext2/3 for gentoo portage and more
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:17:01
1 On Friday 15 February 2008 03:05:13 pm Wael Nasreddine wrote:
2 > Hey guys,
3 >
4 > Currently I have 2 partitions, a root and home partition, fortunately
5 > on LVM array, I was thinking of splitting them to "/, /usr, /var, /home,
6 > /usr/portage, /mnt/storage" the latter is to be used for Mp3z (around
7 > 12000) and movies...
8 >
9 > I was thinking of having the below filesystem schema:
10 > / : ext3 (-j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs
11 > options ??) /usr : xfs (I never used it so please suggest
12 > mkfs.xfs options) /var : //
13 > /home : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good
14 > mkfs options ??) /usr/portage : ReiserFS (3? 4? options??)
15 > /mnt/storage : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good
16 > mkfs options ??)
19 This is from a very humbled ex-ext3 user... I finally decided to play around
20 with reiserfs a while back and I have to tell you... I'll never go back to
21 ext3 unless I really, really have to. The difference is easy to measure and
22 pleasure once you make the move
23
24 I've been setting up machines like this...
25
26 /boot ext2
27 / reiserfs
28 /home reiserfs
29 /var reiserfs
30
31 The difference in disk I/O is... nice!! and the reliability is the same as
32 ext3. Untill the "cold shoulder" for reiser4 is thawed and it gets into the
33 kernel source tree, I'd stay away from it for now however.
34
35 Cheers.
39 > Could you please comment/complete/change the schema above ?? I really
40 > would like to speed up my system a little bit, My system is entirely
41 > built on LVM array, and LVM is on DM-CRYPT so as you can see it's a
42 > quite slow due to the encryption...
43 >
44 > Oh one last thing, What do you suggest for a server? I have a Gentoo
45 > server and uptime can be over 5/6 months, everytime I reboot the
46 > server I have to manually scan the filesystem due to errors
47 > everywhere, any suggestions??
48 >
49 > Thanks...
56 From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride