From: Wael Nasreddine <mla@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext4 status - Alternative to ext2/3 for gentoo portage and more
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:05:46
1 This One Time, at Band Camp, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> said, On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:17:11AM -0600:
2 > Aaron Clark wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
6 >>> Little addition to XFS, I tried it once a while ago. Every time the
7 >>> power failed, it would never boot again. I can say from personal
8 >>> experience and from what I have read from others, if you plan to use XFS,
9 >>> have a good UPS hooked up. It does not like power failures at all. YMMV
12 >> :) In the YMMV category, I've used XFS on pretty much every file server
13 >> I've had in the last 4-5 years and it's never given me any trouble despite
14 >> pretty much never having a UPS hooked up and a decent number of power
15 >> outages. Granted, I never used it on my root filesystem, only storage
16 >> partitions.
17
18 >> Aaron
19 >
20 > Good idea not to use it on the / file system. LOL I was using Mandriva
21 > for my ex's Mom. After about three or four tries, I went back to reiserfs.
22 > It would crash but it would boot right back up again. Nothing lost that I
23 > know of.
24 >
25 > I just never trusted it again. I have also been told, and read elsewhere,
26 > that it is a pretty well known thing that it doesn't like power failures.
27 > It has its good points tho, which is why I was trying it out.
28 >
29 > Dale
30 >
31 > :-) :-)
32
33 Hey guys,
34
35 Currently I have 2 partitions, a root and home partition, fortunately
36 on LVM array, I was thinking of splitting them to "/, /usr, /var, /home,
37 /usr/portage, /mnt/storage" the latter is to be used for Mp3z (around
38 12000) and movies...
39
40 I was thinking of having the below filesystem schema:
41 / : ext3 (-j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
42 /usr : xfs (I never used it so please suggest mkfs.xfs options)
43 /var : //
44 /home : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
45 /usr/portage : ReiserFS (3? 4? options??)
46 /mnt/storage : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
49 Could you please comment/complete/change the schema above ?? I really
50 would like to speed up my system a little bit, My system is entirely
51 built on LVM array, and LVM is on DM-CRYPT so as you can see it's a
52 quite slow due to the encryption...
53
54 Oh one last thing, What do you suggest for a server? I have a Gentoo
55 server and uptime can be over 5/6 months, everytime I reboot the
56 server I have to manually scan the filesystem due to errors
57 everywhere, any suggestions??
58
59 Thanks...
62 Wael Nasreddine
63 http://wael.nasreddine.com
64 PGP: 1024D/C8DD18A2 06F6 1622 4BC8 4CEB D724 DE12 5565 3945 C8DD 18A2
65
66 .: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
67 would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.