From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext4 status - Alternative to ext2/3 for gentoo portage and more
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:25:06
1 On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 21:05 +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
2 > Currently I have 2 partitions, a root and home partition, fortunately
3 > on LVM array, I was thinking of splitting them to "/, /usr, /var, /home,
4 > /usr/portage, /mnt/storage" the latter is to be used for Mp3z (around
5 > 12000) and movies...
6 >
7 > I was thinking of having the below filesystem schema:
8 > / : ext3 (-j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
9 > /usr : xfs (I never used it so please suggest mkfs.xfs options)
10 > /var : //
11 > /home : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
12 > /usr/portage : ReiserFS (3? 4? options??)
13 > /mnt/storage : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
16 > Could you please comment/complete/change the schema above ?? I really
17 > would like to speed up my system a little bit, My system is entirely
18 > built on LVM array, and LVM is on DM-CRYPT so as you can see it's a
19 > quite slow due to the encryption...
20 >
21 > Oh one last thing, What do you suggest for a server? I have a Gentoo
22 > server and uptime can be over 5/6 months, everytime I reboot the
23 > server I have to manually scan the filesystem due to errors
24 > everywhere, any suggestions??
25 >
26 > Thanks...
27
28 First of all, if there are filesystem errors, check your cables, your
29 controller and your disks. I don't think filesystem errors count as
30 normal behavior ...
31
32 To your filesystem scheme: Why do you use xfs for usr? AFAIK XFS is good
33 at write speed but not worth the trouble when reading data and data in
34 usr is usually written once, updated every few months and read many
35 times a week (on rebooting Desktop PCs maybe once a day). I'd use
36 reiserfs3.6, maybe even without notail to make it more space efficient.
37
38 I'd also use ext2 on /usr/portage. These data don't need journaling.
39 Everything's got an MD5-sum to make sure it's unchanged after a crash
40 and you can easily resync. I found ext2 with 2k blocks to be faster than
41 reiserfs3.6, even on read-performance.
42
43 If I were you, I'd also use separate volumes for /tmp and /var/tmp
44 (without ccache) with xfs.
45
46 /home could use data=journal. Those data are precious and if I remember
47 correctly, this setting even brings an obscure (i.e. undocumented) speed
48 improvement with many parallel disk accesses, for example in a
49 multi-user environment.