From: Wael Nasreddine <mla@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext4 status - Alternative to ext2/3 for gentoo portage and more
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:32:25
1 This One Time, at Band Camp, Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> said, On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:24:55PM +0100:
2
3 > On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 21:05 +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
4 > > Currently I have 2 partitions, a root and home partition, fortunately
5 > > on LVM array, I was thinking of splitting them to "/, /usr, /var, /home,
6 > > /usr/portage, /mnt/storage" the latter is to be used for Mp3z (around
7 > > 12000) and movies...
8
9 > > I was thinking of having the below filesystem schema:
10 > > / : ext3 (-j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
11 > > /usr : xfs (I never used it so please suggest mkfs.xfs options)
12 > > /var : //
13 > > /home : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
14 > > /usr/portage : ReiserFS (3? 4? options??)
15 > > /mnt/storage : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
18 > > Could you please comment/complete/change the schema above ?? I really
19 > > would like to speed up my system a little bit, My system is entirely
20 > > built on LVM array, and LVM is on DM-CRYPT so as you can see it's a
21 > > quite slow due to the encryption...
22
23 > > Oh one last thing, What do you suggest for a server? I have a Gentoo
24 > > server and uptime can be over 5/6 months, everytime I reboot the
25 > > server I have to manually scan the filesystem due to errors
26 > > everywhere, any suggestions??
27
28 > > Thanks...
29
30 > First of all, if there are filesystem errors, check your cables, your
31 > controller and your disks. I don't think filesystem errors count as
32 > normal behavior ...
33 I should check that out, thanks
34
35 > To your filesystem scheme: Why do you use xfs for usr? AFAIK XFS is good
36 > at write speed but not worth the trouble when reading data and data in
37 > usr is usually written once, updated every few months and read many
38 > times a week (on rebooting Desktop PCs maybe once a day). I'd use
39 > reiserfs3.6, maybe even without notail to make it more space efficient.
40 I don't use XFS, curently I only have / and /home and I want to split
41 it to more smaller partitions, I'm on LVM so it's easy, anyway I'm
42 going with ReiserFS for /usr /var, would you please suggest
43 mkfs.reiserfs options as I have nerver used ReiserFS-3 before (yep 5
44 years using linux and I've always used ext3...) also You didn't mention
45 /var, would you say ReiserFS-3 is a good choice as well?
46
47 > I'd also use ext2 on /usr/portage. These data don't need journaling.
48 > Everything's got an MD5-sum to make sure it's unchanged after a crash
49 > and you can easily resync. I found ext2 with 2k blocks to be faster than
50 > reiserfs3.6, even on read-performance.
51 I've already made the partition as suggested in [1] I used this
52 command:
53 $ mke2fs -b 1024 -N 200000 -m 0 -O dir_index
54
55 I guess 1K block size would be faster??
56
57 > If I were you, I'd also use separate volumes for /tmp and /var/tmp
58 > (without ccache) with xfs.
59 What did you mean by 'without ccache'? I have ccache and I use it...
60
61 > /home could use data=journal. Those data are precious and if I remember
62 > correctly, this setting even brings an obscure (i.e. undocumented) speed
63 > improvement with many parallel disk accesses, for example in a
64 > multi-user environment.
65 it's done, thanks, BTW what's your home partition FS? your choice is
66 ext3 or reiserFS??
67
68 One last thing, since I'm on LVM resizing the partition is a must
69 feature, in ext3 I use resize2fs which works quite nicely, is
70 resize_reiserfs as reliable as resize2fs is??
71
72 [1]: http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage#Make_A_Sparse_File_to_create_portage_in
75 Wael Nasreddine
76 http://wael.nasreddine.com
77 PGP: 1024D/C8DD18A2 06F6 1622 4BC8 4CEB D724 DE12 5565 3945 C8DD 18A2
78
79 .: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
80 would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.