From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gmail smtp overwrites the sender
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:56:22
1 On 2012-03-11, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 11/03/12 18:14, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2012-03-11, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> There is no "display from". I use Thunderbird and it reports the
6 >>> "from" correctly (that is, it says the mail did not come from GMail.)
7 >>> All mail clients do that.
8 >>
9 >> Outlook never used to. It always used to display the "on behalf of"
10 >> stuff.
11 >>
12 >>> They use the "From:" address. It's a standard specified in an RFC.
13 >>
14 >> Oh, well Microsoft has never violated an RFC, so I'm sure you're right.
15 >
16 > GMail does not generate an "on behalf of" header either.
17 >
18 > I just tested it. I've sent an email through GMail's SMTP. Here are
19 > the relevant headers of the email that arrived. "my_other_address"
20 > is what I used as "From:"
21 >
22 > Return-path: <realnc@×××××.com>
23 > Envelope-to: my_other_address
24 > Sender: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
25 > From: my_other_address
26
27 Ah! Apparently gmail has fixed the "sender" problem. According to
28 wikipedia, they now allow you to use somebody else's SMTP server:
29
30 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail#On_behalf_of
31
32 That's not what you're doing?
33
34 If they have indeed fixed it so you can send mail using Google's SMTP
35 server and have something other than your gmail address show up in the
36 "sender" field, then it's time to celebrate.
37
38 > The OP mentioned that the problem is that he wants to subscribe to a
39 > mailing list, but that list sends the verification mail to the "Sender:"
40 > address rather than the "From:" address. Which sounds very weird to me.
41 > If you want to subscribe the "From:" address to a list, why would they
42 > want to verify the "Sender:" address instead? Makes no sense.
43
44 Dunno. I didn't relly understand what the OP was saying. I was
45 confirming (erroneously), the gmail would always put the gmail address
46 in the "sender" header, which then triggered Outlook to display the
47 "on behalf of" stuff. That issue has apparently been fixed.
50 Grant