From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gmail smtp overwrites the sender
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:47:46
1 On 11/03/12 18:14, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2012-03-11, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> There is no "display from". I use Thunderbird and it reports the "from"
5 >> correctly (that is, it says the mail did not come from GMail.) All mail
6 >> clients do that.
7 >
8 > Outlook never used to. It always used to display the "on behalf of"
9 > stuff.
10 >
11 >> They use the "From:" address. It's a standard specified in an RFC.
12 >
13 > Oh, well Microsoft has never violated an RFC, so I'm sure you're right.
14
15 GMail does not generate an "on behalf of" header either. I just tested
16 it. I've sent an email through GMail's SMTP. Here are the relevant
17 headers of the email that arrived. "my_other_address" is what I used as
18 "From:"
19
20 Return-path: <realnc@×××××.com>
21 Envelope-to: my_other_address
22 Sender: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
23 From: my_other_address
24
25 The OP mentioned that the problem is that he wants to subscribe to a
26 mailing list, but that list sends the verification mail to the "Sender:"
27 address rather than the "From:" address. Which sounds very weird to me.
28 If you want to subscribe the "From:" address to a list, why would they
29 want to verify the "Sender:" address instead? Makes no sense.